Saturday, April 7, 2007

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

I read this one in elementary school. I don't think I ever finished it back then, but today i am in love with it. It's everything that I was hoping for when I started this Newbery project (not to sound too dramatic). It has that element of wonder and awe about it. Two kids embarking on a journey without their parents telling them what to do. They end up running away in a perfect plan to hide out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They stumble up the mystery of an Angel statue. It may be a "lost" work of Michealangelo and they are determined to solve the mystery. Of course, as in any great story, they end up finding a lot more.

I think this one is my favorite of all the Newbery's I've read so far. I've noticed a lot of people mentioning it periodically on the Newbery blog too, so I don't think I'm the only one. It was easy to read and understand but still very enjoyable. It's a great encouragement as I push on in this Newbery journey. I'm not sure which I will choose to read next.

3 comments:

Going Weston said...

Yeah, I don't know about Platoon. I've never seen my movie...I guess I'll have to now.

and you and Bill both Honest Abe huh? you guys probably cheated

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

I read this as a kid too and was thrilled to read it as an adult and find the scene when they bathe in the fountains and collect coins. That scene so stuck with me and I could never remember what it was from!

Going Weston said...

Honest Abes don't erase comments...unless Honest Abes got something to hide