Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The View from Saturday

I decided over the holidays to read all of the Newbery Gold Medal books. I was so excited today when I found blogs already dedicated to this project! I love talking about it and hearing other people's opinions on the books. I have a blog for fun, but it's a xanga and only allows comments from fellow xanga subscribers, so I dug around in my inbox to find the blogger account I'd registered and finally have a reason to keep it going! I hope I make a few friends along the way!

I already posted today on my xanga about "The View from Saturday" so I'm going to just paste it here:

These are the kinds of words of wisdom I'm gaining from my Newbery adventure. I just finished "The View from Saturday" by E.L. Konigsburg about a group of 4 students whose teacher chose them for the 6th grade debate team. The whole book explains their stories, as their teacher tries to place why exactly she chose them.

"They found something, Mrs. Olinski. Noah at Century Village; Nadia on the Sargasso Sea; Ethan on the bus." He hesitated. "Think about the question that Maxwell missed. They did not know that Humpty Dumpty was not in Wonderland because they never journeyed through the looking glass to find him. How can you know what is missing if you've never met it? You must know of something's existence before you can notice its absence. So it was with the Souls. They found on their journeys what you found at the Sillington House."

"A cup of kindness, Mr. Singh? Is that what I found?"

"Kindness, yes, Mrs. Olinski. Noah, Nadia and Ethan found kindness in others and learned how to look for it in themselves."


There were a couple of times that Konigsburg revealed the true Lewis Carroll fan within, pulling little facts from his books. I liked that, after all my favorite Disney movie is absolutely Alice in Wonderland. She wraps up her whole book with "Through the Looking Glass" references, which I was surprised about, but I think it worked.

Overall, I give it 3 stars. I think I'll like other winners more than this one, but it was an enjoyable read.



Next Book: Bridge to Terabithia

4 comments:

Going Weston said...

Well indeed you did...

Going Weston said...

have you seen the Sarah Plain and Tall movie? it has Christopher Walkins in it as Jacob...


...have I already asked you about that?

Going Weston said...

Oh its a movie...I don't think its a very long one. I know that I watched it in our class after we had finished the book.

Check the blog...

Going Weston said...

Ummm, I have enjoyed it so far. I mean I tend to agree with his anti-consumer slash capitalism. But some things get on my nerves. Like his anti-war jabs, his "I'm radical because I wear torn jeans and listen to Rock music" persona, and also just his writing style in General. But don't worry, I'll give a full on report when I finish. His pros as well as his cons get me reeeal opinionated.