Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia

I've just cut and pasted this review I wrote on the Newbery Project Blogring, which I have linked to the left if you're interested. I hope to write more on this blog then my Newbery reviews, but I want to make sure I have them documented so I can remember this journey later on. I definitely recommend this book...it's a true classic!

I hesitate to even write this post about "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson because the tears aren't completely dried and I know I'll be thinking more clearly later! I was so excited to read this book again. The movie comes out Friday and it looks a little different, but the author's son wrote the screenplay so I'm hoping that any additions will only make it better, if that's possible!

My 4th grade teacher read this book to my class but I clearly remember her crying when she read it and all of the class joining right in! I am not sure what I shouldn't say about the book because I assume that most of us have read it and know what happens, but just in case:

*Spoiler Alert*
This book deals with a lot of themes that I continue to deal with and work out in my adult life. The main character, Jess Aarons, deals with handling fear, peer pressure, family strife, social awkwardness and death of a loved one. We see his stages of grieving and how he ultimately learns to use the gift that was his time with Leslie to become more of a man and face life's challenges head on. It is a truly touching story.

There are also some themes that I didn't remember from when my teacher read the book to us. There was definitely some language in the book that you'd want to know about before reading it out loud. It was minor, but still something I know some parents don't want their kids exposed to. Also, there are some spiritual aspects that would deserve a separate discussion with kids.

I'd just finished reading "The View from Saturday" and both Terabithia and it used other classic authors in their books. Konigsburg uses some elements from Lewis Carroll and Paterson uses C.S. Lewis' Narnia as an inspiration for Leslie creating the world of Terebithia. I wonder if more of the authors we'll be reading do this. It's definitely made me want to keep reading beyond the Newbery list and I appreciate that and hope the younger readers are inspired to do the same!

4 comments:

Going Weston said...

I care....I saw a PILE of BSC books at this salvation army yesterday. I was so close to buying them, but I talked myself out of it. Have you ever read Pig City?

Going Weston said...

I blame my obsession with emo music, romantic movies, and just my way-too-soft-side on the book Pig City.

Its about kids in Elementary School, there are two rival clubs that are started and both are in trouble with the school. I don't really know what else to say about it.

My 5th grade teacher read it to us and I can remember the exact moment in the book that forced me to start liking girls. If I were Moses, Pig city would be like sending me down the river to get picked up by Pharaoh's house...It was the beginning of a long journey for me

Going Weston said...

was that too much information...?

Going Weston said...

I think I have a copy of Pig City in Ktown. I'm pretty sure Heather Brown has it, but she hasn't written me back about it. But I'm going to get to the bottom of this.

I'm fairly certain it's not up to your elite Newbery's...but it is a diamond in the rough. And I think it took me like 2 hours to read. that easy or that amazing...hmm, you decide